About the Event
COVID-19 has changed the world overnight, but climate change is right behind it, bringing the prospect of even greater change and disruption.
The first in a five-part series, this session provides an introduction and overview of key aspects of how climate change and associated risks – both physical and transitional – are already intersecting with key areas of New Zealand law.
This session is not be a laundry-list of developments, but a roadmap of how those developments, which will be discussed in more detail through the series, are influencing the legal landscape.
Amongst other matters, we outline the climate science, international climate change law, NZ’s Zero Carbon regime, legal developments affecting NZ businesses, and how the risks posed by climate change are likely to play into legal duties of governmental and private actors.
- Consolidate your knowledge of what the climate science says.
- Refresh your understanding of the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Act and related government measures.
- Become apprised of climate risk and its implications.
- Benefit from insights into the relevance and significance of climate change, both legal and practical, for lawyers and their clients.
Who should view?
This first session provides an overview for those wanting to learn more about climate change and its implications for lawyers and their clients.
The four subject-specific sessions will cover:
- Corporate Governance
- Dispute Resolution including Insurance
- Property and Environmental & Resource Management
- Corporate & Commercial
Feedback from previous attendees:
- As an introduction, the seminar was excellent. I have been involved in this area for some time - so understand some basics. But, not many technical aspects. The discussion of the basics, and revisiting them was good.
- There is much to think about, and the presentation gave some indications of big picture matters for lawyers. The range of speakers was great too - it made for an engaging session.
- Good content and right level of detail.
- Very interesting topic.
When and Where