Auckland District Law Society was formed on 28 March 1879. A meeting of 23 practitioners was held at the Supreme Courthouse at Auckland convened by F.M.P. Brookfield and Frederick Whitaker who were elected Vice President and President respectively.
Chancery Chambers is the head office of ADLS, situated on the corner of Chancery and O'Connell Streets in the Auckland CBD. Built in 1924, it stands on the site of Acacia Cottage, home to John Logan Campbell, believed to have been Auckland's first European-type dwelling.
Chancery Chambers was designed by a French-Canadian architect, J Sholto Smith of Mullions & Smith. Many of Auckland's well-known identities have worked in the building which for a time housed a tea room in the sixth-floor tower and a Turkish bath complex in the basement.
The building was bought by ADLS in 1989 and restored - in association with Mace Development Corporation and architect James Morrison - to reflect its 1920s’ origin.