Auckland District Law Society was formed on 28 March 1879. A meeting of 23 practitioners was held at the Supreme Courthouse at Auckland convened by F.M.P. Brookfield and Frederick Whitaker who were elected Vice President and President respectively.
The Society was initially “The Law Society of the District of Auckland” until 1974 when it became the Auckland District Law Society and more recently with the passing of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006, the Auckland District Law Society Incorporated was formed. The New Zealand Law Society continues to handle regulatory and disciplinary matters on behalf of the legal profession.
ADLS is incorporated under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 and the Rules ensure the organisation of around 5,000 voluntary members is positioned as the “Independent Voice of Law” carrying out collegial and representative responsibilities for its members.